Monday, June 1, 2015

Thinking Globally, Acting Locally

  There are people all around the world that wants to make a difference in some sort of way; whether it concerns pollution, homeless people, or even a law thats about to be passed. This is a concept that people will think about the plant as a unit but act upon an issue within their own community. Thinking about a global issue that actually was acted on in London was a protest supporting the company Peta. People in London was protesting that the hats that 'Bobbies,' wear were made out of bear skins and it was not right. The thing is Peta is a global company, but the ladies were protesting in their London community because they felt that the bear skin hats were against the bear's rights. So the reason that I know this event happened was because of Constable Watson. He was presenting a slide show about events they had to control and how protesting is a big thing. No matter where someone is located, there is always protest about some sort of issue. But at the same time I believe it is a prime example of thinking globally but acting locally.
   London has shown me more them a different methods of a criminal justice department. It has open my eyes to come to the realization that if something happens in the states, it can easily effect the entire world. I have mentioned this example in a pervious blog but I also believe it is fitting for this blog as well. The Boston Marathon Bombing, it was hundreds of miles away from London but London had to act in a security matter within their community when their marathon was about to happen weeks later. Constable Watson has served his time to more high in the ranks in London's chain of command; within that comes more responsibility. He told us that his routine at home was to always keep an eye on the news and what is going on around the world because no matter what happens in can effect London. The effect it can have is security, because it has happened one place it can easily happen anywhere else in the world. Those are just a few example that I took away from my trip in London that I believe fit perfectly in the matter of thinking globally and acting locally.
   Back to the topic of being a global citizen. I believe that a global citizen needs to have the mentality to think globally and act locally, because global citizens can take what they learned all over the world and apply it in their community for hopefully a positive impact. Before this trip I was a person that thought and acted only locally. But since my return from my trip, my mindset has changed. I watch the news more, I even check up on London's news. There is so much going on in the world that I think everyone should take the time to learn about and if they want a different outcome then they need to act on it. Even though every country is different and have their own way of living, we can always be effect as an entire world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment